Mother’s Refuge, a home for unwed, teenage mothers in Independence, suffered a devastating fire in October of 2012. The fire completely destroyed the home for the young women.
They are in the process of rebuilding right now and have a great need for volunteers.
There is an immediate need for folks to help with basic clean up. No prior experience is necessary. No matter what your skill level, there are ways in which you can help out.
Skilled labor needs:
There is also a need for skilled labor. If you’re a plumber, electrician, or hang dry wall, they could really use some help right now. Mother’s Refuge is a state-licensed maternity home. They have been a non-profit, 501 (c)3 organization since 1987 All donations are tax-deductible.
- We serve pregnant young women and babies that have no permanent place to live. They are often living from friend to friend or on the streets.
- Our program is for pregnant young women, 21-years old or younger.
- We have provided a loving home for more than 1,350 young women and babies since 1987.
- Each year we provide around 4,000 bed nights to young moms and their babies.
- We serve more than 10,000 meals and snacks annually.
- Our babies us more than 12,000 diapers per year.
- Most of our residents come from the Greater Kansas City area.
- The young moms may stay until their baby is one-year old.
- Residents must continue their education while in our program. They attend either high school, community college or take GED classes.
- We provide a loving home, clothing, food, access to medical care, education, infant and parenting classes and practical life-skills.
- Residents attend church on Sundays. They may attend the faith of their choice or go with our group.
- All our young moms learn household responsibilities and take turns planning, preparing and cooking the evening meals and cleaning the home.
- Residents may have approved visitors and may go out on pass.
- Girls choose to live at Mother’s Refuge at their own will.
- Our home is a smoke-free, alcohol-free, and drug-free facility.
- Donations of $100 or more may qualify for an additional 50% Missouri Tax Credit.
- A group of concerned citizens from Eastern Jackson County started Mother’s Refuge in 1987.
- We are a non-profit 501(c)3 community based organization.
- The State of Missouri licenses us as a Maternity Home for eight teenagers and four babies at one time.
- A board of directors, made up of community leaders, governs us.
- Our funding comes from contributions from individuals, businesses, foundations, civic clubs, churches and various grants.